The Digital Media Summer Institute is back for another amazing summer! The Digital Media Summer Institute it’s a hands-on, minds-on learning experience unlike any other! This unique annual event, organized by the UT Austin
Portugal Program, allows participants to complete numerous short courses that cover several areas of the Digital Media Program, such as Cinema (fiction and documentary), Design, Music, Journalism, among others.
The Digital Media Summer Institute had its first edition in 2007, in the same year that the UT Austin
Portugal Program begun to increase research and postgraduate studies in emerging technologies, with particular emphasis on Media and Digital Content, Advanced Computing, Mathematics and other Emerging Technologies, as well as the area of science and technology commercialization.
The Digital Media Summer Institute 2017 (eleventh edition) will offer students and professionals, in Lisbon and Porto, the opportunity to explore a variety of digital media topics.
The Summer Institute’s activities will be taught by specially selected UT Faculty and aims to increase our understanding of and abilities to work with digital media technologies. The intensive short courses will take place from May to July and will be taught at the graduate level.
→ LISBON (FCSH, iNOVA Media Lab)
▪ Visual Connectivity
Objective: Focusing on visual art and its ability to communicate a concept as a catalyst for conversation, the workshop will address fundamental issues of creating art in the public realm
Dates: May 3-5 and May 8-9
Speaker: Jill Bedgood, Artist
▪ Immersive Media: Producing VR documentaries in Unity 3D
Objective: Hands-on skill training and prototype production of immersive short documentaries (360° video) in Unity 3D
Dates: June 5-16
Instructor: Simon Quiroz, UT Austin
▪ Entrepreneurial Journalism: Innovation and creativity to adapt to the new media ecosystem
Objective: Apply the main typologies of media innovation to existing and original projects
Dates: July 3-7
Instructor: Rosental Alves, UT Austin
▪ Immersive Media: Producing augmented reality for storytelling projects
Objective: Hands-on skill training and prototype production of augmented reality
Dates: July 10-14
Instructor: Ben Bays, UT Austin
→ PORTO (U. Porto Media Innovation Labs)
▪ Introduction to Digital Humanities Research
Objective: This five-day course will introduce graduate students to techniques for analysing humanities data, with focus on textual data
Dates: June 19-23
Instructor: Daniel Carter, UT Austin
▪ Thinking about preserving digital culture: what to preserve and how
Objective: The course will focus on the broad range of digital materials to be preserved, drawing on examples from materials that have been preserved archivally in the School of Information at University of Texas at Austin from 2003 to the present
Dates: June 26-28
Instructor: Patricia Galloway, UT Austin
▪ Understanding Persuasive Environmental Communication and Imagery
Objective: This graduate-level course will explore science and environmental communication from a persuasive angle
Dates: July 10-14
Instructor: Lucy Atkinson, UT Austin
HOW TO APPLY?
Who can register?
▪ The Digital Media Summer Institute 2017 is open to students, professionals and companies (eg. News Media Companies, Multimedia Production Houses, among others).
▪ There are no specific academic requirements in order to register for courses.
▪ All the courses will be conducted in English.
When to Register?
▪ Space in the program is limited and early registration is encouraged.
▪ Applications for the Lisbon workshops are already open! However, the deadlines for each course registration must be taken in consideration:
Visual Connectivity – From April 18 to April 29
Immersive Media: Producing VR documentaries in Unity 3D – From April 17 to May 15
Entrepreneurial Journalism: Innovation and creativity to adapt to the new media ecosystem – From April 17 to May 15
Immersive Media: Producing augmented reality for storytelling projects – From April 17 to May 15
How to Register?
→ How to Apply to LISBON Courses?
● Visual Connectivity
Registration Deadline: April 29 (Saturday)
Course Fee: Free of Charge
– Participation in this course requires an application.
– If you are interested in participating in this course please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to formalize your application.
– Attached must be sent: CV, Portfolio and a Letter of Motivation.
– In the email subject line should be mentioned the name of the course.
Selection of Participants: Selected applicants will be informed by email until May 1 (Monday).
● Applications for the following workshops are now open:
Registration Deadline: May 15 (Monday)
– Immersive Media: Producing VR documentaries in Unity 3D
– Entrepreneurial Journalism: Innovation and creativity to adapt to the new media ecosystem
– Immersive Media: Producing augmented reality for storytelling projects
If you are interested in participating in the workshops please consult the following webpage for more information about prices and registration: http://inovamedialab.org/training/.